Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Brand establishment....XeroX or Photostat......Cable Tv or Sun TV

Few days ago I went to Ernakulam.....It was a long journey..after spending a day in Ernakulam..I just went out from room I stayed ...I thought of Taking photocopies of my marksheet to apply for Jaypee group,Since I was from Tamilnadu, I dont know anything there I asked a person "do u know any xerox shop here?"...He asked me" what is Xerox?" ,I was surprised because he looked very professional like a doctor or an engineer.I explained that if we send this paper in a machine it will produce another copy of same paper with same contents.He laughed at me and said it is called PHOTOSTAT..To my surprise all the Xerox shops in kerala i saw only the name PhotoStat and not Xerox,Actually Xerox is a company name,Though i know that i usually use the name xerox for photocopy...but keralites never use the word xerox(as i seen in ernakulam shops)...But in chennai no one uses the word Photostat or Photocopy,Even in some government forms they use the word Xerox in Tamilnadu....
Then I went to a Coiambatore to my aunt's home,My aunt's father in law is old man, he is a great scholar,He holds a Msc degree in agriculture and he holds Phd by doing some research in soya beans, he is a knowledgeable person,When we were chatting at his home..he just asked "Do u have sun TV connection at home?" I was surprised to see him using the word Sun Tv connection instead of Cable connection.
These two incidents made me conclude that brand establishment is very difficult in Tamilnadu and Once it is established it cant removed even from well educated people in Tamilnadu....What do u feel...

4 comments:

Laxman.M said...

ya to an extent da.... but things are changing nowadays wit the emergence of new channel.... more dimensions is expected 4m d broadcasters

manesh said...

hi amar i think u remember me...

"sun TV xerox" these kind of words ..it just mixed up with us socially.From d beging we r using these words so it doesn't look diff to us..even though we have conviction that its not appropriate to use these words, still we believe that its nothing wrong in using them....Till this attitude exists within us we cannot change this branded establishment

Sank said...

hah haa..Its nice to read such posts..its correct wat u hav posted amar,may be not cos of brand recgn,v might not know the exact names..an eg is some call a kind of bag with wooden handle as chennai silks bag,this of course again nt knowin de name and 2 lit bottle as pepsi bottle,this from ur view...

Xerox Solid Ink for Phaser said...

Brand establishment is huge all around the world and especially here in America things such as: xerox, cable, Kleenex, and even for pharmaceutical drugs such as: Advil instead of pain killers, and so much more!

In places such as Thailand these things do not happen brand establishment is not at big as it is in America, its hard to explain why..

Have any ideas?

Cheers,
Blair